About Me

United States
We are a proud American family with our two kids and 11-year-old cat.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Shots, Swimming and Shopping

First off, yesterday was one of those days where I really found myself reflecting on the ability of mothers in the past that managed to get everything done. It also made me recall my own behavior in certain situations.

As it turns out, it is recommended to have the vaccine for Japenese Encephalitis before moving to Japan. Charles and Clara Grace both got it yesterday, while Zach and I will have to wait until he is a year old. This shot is a three shot series so they go back in seven days and then in 30 days. Anyway, Clara Grace knew she was going to get a shot but wasn't happy about it. She looked definitely bummed but appeared to be brave about it...until we actually went into the room for the shots. THEN it sounded like we were ripping her fingernails out. I had to get firm with her because she was adamant about not wanting the shot, screaming, etc. We finally got her on the with her poor little thighs exposed and she got a shot in each thigh (personally I think that is horrible but it is how they do it) and then I discovered exactly what my little turkey has within her. I bet they could hear it outside the building. Luckily she was soothed quickly but I had to carry her out to the lobby where Charles and Zach were waiting. Charles took over the duty of carrying her. When she finally did walk on her own, it was so pitiful for the first minute.

Her swim lesson was yesterday afternoon and helped her work the soreness out of her thighs. It certainly didn't look as though she were pained at all. As you can see, she is getting to be such a big girl. Don't those legs look...long? It is so hard to believe she is quickly approaching five years of age. Her instructor, Patrick, really thinks she is coming along so we are going to continue with some more but taking a two week break so she can continue working with him.


And then there was my first solo grocery shopping experience with both kids. I have gone into the grocery store and picked up a few items with them both, but just used my stroller/carseat combo so was pretty easy and obviously not many items involved. Yesterday I loaded the carseat into the seat of the cart and had Clara Grace walk along. They were both very well behaved (Zach slept the whole time and Clara Grace stayed with me just fine) but I was so...nervous...the whole time. I kept my hand on the carseat worried it would fall off, and then kept trying to determine if he was at a good angle with the way the seat fit in there. Then there was the problem of me being short trying to see where I'm pushing the cart. The funniest part had to be anyone watching as I tried to usher Clara Grace ahead of me, hold the carseat in place, and somehow get in front of the cart to unload it at the check out. Needless to say, I am very much looking forward to Zach reaching the minimum size so I can "wear" him at the grocery store until he is sitting up enough to sit in the cart. Whew!

The final note is an update about Clara Grace's reaction to the shots. Unfortunately she is now running a low grade fever, has a runny nose and is congested. Poor thing, but she is being a trooper about it.

0 comments: