About Me

United States
We are a proud American family with our two kids and 11-year-old cat.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Fun Fact About Geckos

As shared recently, we are fostering a gecko.  Other than basic information, I really knew little about them and we are learning as we go.  Our gecko, Stripe, eats crickets.  Clara has been very obsessive regarding his (and the fish) feeding schedules, nearly to the point of annoyance.  Nearly.  Anyway, she was watching Stripe early and noted that he was beginning to shed his skin.  Cool.  A short time later she returned, slightly alarmed, as he ate his skin.  She felt this clearly indicated we were doing something wrong with his feeding.  So, we Googled it.  Geckos do in fact eat their shed skin and I know you feel wiser now, if you were living in ignorance as I was.  From what I read, we should expect to get to watch this phenomenom every 2-4 weeks.  I'm sure you are eager to go acquire your own gecko now, eh?

0 comments: