About Me

United States
We are a proud American family with our two kids and 11-year-old cat.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Sumimasen

Charlie and I were committed to learning Japanese as soon as we got our orders. We bought Rosetta Stone and got started...well, we completed one lesson each. Then we got caught up in daily life and let it go, promising to get back on it as soon as we arrived.

Well, I cannot find the disc. I'm currently going through everything we own trying to find it. I'm sure it will turn up in the oddest location.

However, this is all leading up to me letting you know that I do NOT speak Japanese and find it very difficult. I have a few things I can say...

konnichiwa (good day/hello)
kudasai (please)
hai (yes)
arigato (thank you)

Ok, maybe a few more but very basic communications. I am working on it. However, I finally drove out to the stable to try to apologize for missing Clara Grace's last scheduled lesson and set up her next one. I went with my handy dandy laminated language map that is a quick reference for basic communication.

Her instructor was busy in the corral giving a lesson so the kids and I hung around petting horses and watching. When she approached I was ready and said, "Sumimasen" which means excuse me or sorry which is how I was using it. She lit up and gave me a big smile at my attempt. We fumbled through my trying to explain why we missed it so I'm not sure she knows why but then it was time to schedule the next lesson. I got applause for my efforts!

I said, Kugatsu, which is September and once again she cheered for me and flipped to September.

Then I said juichi which is the word for 11. More cheering!

Then I gave the time for ten which is ju...big smile!

So that was all fantastic and I was feeling SO proud, but then she started talking more in Japanese and I was totally lost. I searched my language map and so did she but we couldn't find it so we settled for what she had already penciled in.

Basically, I was thrilled with the exchange but definitely see the humor in it. I must find that Rosetta Stone though because I seriously need to do better on learning the Japanese language. If I can find it, maybe I'll communicate better by the next lesson...

0 comments: