About Me

United States
We are a proud American family with our two kids and 11-year-old cat.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Yokosuka Pictures

This is a picture of Clara Grace as we waited for the taxi to pick us up outside our apartment building. She was so excited to be riding in a taxi. When I saw this picture I just thought she looks so grown up now! I know this is an odd picture, but there is a story behind it. We have people in Iwakuni that do the same thing. You see someone using a weedeater and there is this other person standing there holding a screen so that debris doesn't hit people/cars passing by. I've heard people call them the Grass Ninjas. I totally thought they were using some nickname, UNTIL I saw one of the little trucks that they drive and their official name is Grass Ninjas! I think it is hysterical. When I saw them and had the camera I had to snap a pic. One day I'm going to get a picture of the vehicle to add.
Clara Grace and I were really intrigued by this tree on the base up there. It looks like there are eggs growing on it! The pictures aren't great, but I'm trying to figure out the name of this tree. Admittedly I haven't done a thorough search, but I plan to do that soon.

As close up as I could get of the egg-looking things.
Zach playing on the playground we played on the most. It was right at McDonald's and offered a bit of shade plus was a good stopping poing between the room and the NEX or comissary.
This is to the left of the playground. Very pretty!
Here is a picture of McDonald's and the water. We really were able to spend quite a bit of time in this area.

Here are some pictures of Friendship day.
This was the bounce house area for kids. Clara Grace had a lot of fun but Zach was content to watch. There were actually a couple of things he was big enough to do but he was not up for it.
But he was all for chilling out and drinking some water on this scorcher of a day.
As you can see, Clara Grace was burning energy.
The kids were smart to take advantage of this. It was set up beside the fire truck that Zach totally loved. Clara Grace just ran in and out and didn't stick around to play in the water.
Here are some pics of the live entertainment. This group was called the Sparkling Spurs and did some line-dancing up on the platform, then came down and let the crowd join in. And yes, the group is completely Japanese, line-dancing to country music.
Then we were able to watch some hula dancing. Clara Grace really enjoyed this part.
Back at the playground
Clara Grace just a swingin'
This is the day we returned to Iwakuni. This is a picture of a local train that passed as we waited on the platform for the one that would take us to the Shinagawa (I think I've been spelling it wrong in previous posts so forgive me) station to get on the bullet train.
This is a picture at the Shinagawa station waiting to get on the bullet train.
This is a shot of the train coming through. See the rails? Those are great. They do not have rails at the station in Iwakuni and you cannot imagine how scary it is the very first time one of those trains blows through that isn't stopping. Very startling. Zach was on my back, but I did not have to tell Clara Grace to stay away from the edge. She was glued to my leg after that first train came by. Charlie warned us, and we were still startled. Those trains go F.A.S.T.
Our train departed at 10:21. These trains are extremely punctual. They arrive when they say they are going to arrive. They stop for about a minute so you need to be ready.

0 comments: