About Me

United States
We are a proud American family with our two kids and 11-year-old cat.

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

A colleague at school organized a ticket purchase for the last game of the season for the Hiroshima Carps. I was really hesitant to get tickets because I thought Charlie would have already left and it was a 6pm game, and Zach is usually in bed by 7pm. I finally decided I thought he could handle it and how could I not go see the Carps while living here.

As it turns out, Charlie had not left yet. He leaves Monday so he was still here. Unfortunately he had work stuff to take care of and couldn't go. The forecast was also rather gloomy. A friend that has two kids the same ages as Clara and Zach and I were in frequent communication yesterday trying to decide if we really wanted to do it. We talked at 4:30 and agreed we were doing it. I already was loaded up in the car ready to head to the train station while they were a bit delayed so I decided to head on. He arrived at the train station, got our round trip tickets and luckily there was a train about to pull out so on we went.

Zach was tickled to be on the train for the first six stops or so, then he wanted to get off. Hiroshima Station is 14 stops from Iwakuni (yes, I count as well as check the signs at each stop). The train was pretty crowded as we neared Hiro. Although I knew how to get there, these were my directions to the stadium: Once you get there, it is about a 15 minute walk. Follow the jerseys.

As it turns out, I only saw one jersey and I was afraid to take a chance. I approached her and said: Sumimasen (excuse me), Doko dess-ka (where is it?) and pointed to the baseball on Zach's shirt and her jersey. It is a good thing I asked. She was not going to the game. She pointed me in the right direction and said, "Turn left, go straight". I was thankful for her English. So, I turned left and went straight. At that point, I noticed a few jerseys and heavy foot traffic so with each kid in the wrist grip off we went to the ballgame.

It is a fairly small stadium so we had little difficulty finding our section and then of course I saw lots of familiar faces. The kids had a great time but were complaining of thirst and hunger on the way in the stadium. Once we were settled, I went in search of food. I didn't know it, but I ordered a BLT with some tater tot looking things. I was even able to have them not put mayonnaise on it and was pleased when they called it a BLT (I just pointed at the picture). The kids got chicken. Once I was seated and explored that bacon, it was definitely different. Very thick, not crisp at all and I would guess it had been boiled. Some of you will be amazed that I shrugged and started chowing down. (Since coming to Japan I have a don't ask, just eat policy). About 75% complete, a friend's nephew approaches to tell me my bacon is horse meat. Again, the shoulder shrug. Who knows? I finished eating it though. Zach ate some of the chicken, but those tater tot things must have been good because I didn't get any of them.

As you can see from the pictures, it was a lot of fun. Clara was not thrilled to go, but I kept telling her it would be a blast. Two of her buddies were there and they giggled and had fun the entire time. Zach sat in his seat and watched the game the entire time. We left around the 8th inning. It was already 9pm, we were losing big time and friends were beginning to leave. I decided to take the train back with some. We made it back in the apartment at 10:30 and the kids were in bed by 11pm. It was the latest I've ever had them out but they did great. They are both still sleeping at 7:40am which is a rare thing. Enjoy the pictures. I've included a few captions.

This thing is a bounce house! I didn't realize it when I snapped the picture but Clara pointed it out. I planned to take the kids, but never got around to it and do not think they felt cheated.

Zach really had a good time. His friend, Abigail, sat right behind him. He didn't say much to her at the game, but they sat together on the train home and had a blast! I bet the Japanese sitting around us on the train had a few stories to tell once they got home.
Yes, we lost badly. We scored a run in the 5th inning and it was a big time with the crowd.

Everybody has these little bats and hit them together for various chants. The girls found multiple uses for them.
Proper usage.
Notice the other people with sweaters on? Look at my kids. I was chilly with a long-sleeved tee. Clara had a sweater with her that she took off. She really really wanted ice cream and her friend was getting some so I gave in. It wasn't actually cold. These little helmets seemed safe for both of them so we did that. It really made Zach happy. It was near the 7th inning where they release these balloons that you see in unison. As you can see, everyone around Zach is into it and all he wants is to eat that ice cream. Zach was wearing a long-sleeved tee under his short sleeved tee but he absolutely refused to wear the fleece and hat I brought for him. His little chin was quivering after eating the ice cream!


The release! It was pretty neat.

I'm glad we did it. We might be able to squeeze in another game as a family in the spring before we move.

0 comments: