About Me

United States
We are a proud American family with our two kids and 11-year-old cat.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Funnix

Tammy turned me on to a book to use to teach Zach how to read.  The book is Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons by Siegfried Engelmann, Phyllis Haddox, and Elaine Bruner.  If you clicked the link, it clearly is an effective program.  While reading the reviews and learning more about it, I came across Funnix which pretty much takes the same approach but through software and the parent is the guide.  Zach has been fairly resistant to instruction the way I taught Clara so I was eager to give Funnix a try.  Initially he wanted nothing to do with it, but I did buy him a cheapo car in an egg at the supermarket that he could open upon completion of the first lesson.  That egg has sat around for probably a month and a half.  Finally, today, he approached me and asked for a reading lesson!  I stopped what I was doing and we hopped to it.  He completed it with ease and did the worksheet as well.  I think he did a really nice job.  Clara and I were very encouraging and he said he was good for doing this each day and thought it was easy.  By no means do I think this means it will be smooth sailing from here on out, however it was a big hurdle we jumped today.  Oh, and Zach has really enjoyed his new little car.  I also bought the math portion and hope to start it soon.  


0 comments: