About Me

United States
We are a proud American family with our two kids and 11-year-old cat.

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Tallinn Medieval Days

Thursday kicked off the Medieval Days festival.  After doing some homework and chores, the kids and I hopped on the bus to catch a bit of it.  I took the camera and think I have some pretty nice shots, but I will have to wait until our household goods arrive to upload them as I forgot to pack the cable.

Anyway, Zach fell asleep in his stroller on the bus and spent the first bit snoozing.  Clara and I walked up and down the aisles of vendors selling a variety of items dressed in their medieval costumes.  It was very charming.  There were a few vendors we opted to purchase some items.  There was some sort of entertainment at the top of each hour.  We would break from browsing to check it out.

The first we caught was students Mystika Dance Studio which was belly dancing.  I was impressed with the girl dancing with candles on her head.  The second act we saw was titled "Interesting Thoughts".  I'm sure they were interesting, but he wasn't speaking in English so it went over our heads. The Estonian language is very rhythmic though, so we enjoyed it anyway.  The kids were starting to tire a bit before the next act performed, but it was a sword demonstration so they stuck it out.  While waiting we munched on some roasted nuts that were candied and others that had garlic on them.  Surprisingly, the kids enjoyed the ones with garlic the most.  We were in no danger from vampires by the time we were through, I can tell you that!

So, we stuck around to watch The House of the Lame Wolf demonstrate how to handle a sword.  This was fantastic!  Even though we could not understand a word they said.  Dressed in authentic-looking medieval attire, several men put on a show that caused chuckles just from their body language.  The ladies looked quite nice too.  They paused for several minutes and seemed to be sharing details about the clothing and weapons that I really wished I understood.

So, we had yet another fantastic day in Estonia!  And I love the fact that we ate lunch at home before we left so this trip technically only had to cost bus fare.  I did purchase just a few souvenirs for people and the nuts, so still rather cheaply done.

Pictures will be uploaded as soon as possible.

0 comments: