About Me

United States
We are a proud American family with our two kids and 11-year-old cat.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Hind Sight is Always 20/20

First, poor Zach. He has had a tough time lately. Last Friday he was sent home from daycare due to a fever than ran through to Sunday morning. He wasn't 100% Sunday but was much better. Then, Monday, he had a dentist appointment, but so did Clara and I so I had to drop him off at daycare for our appointments. By the time I got home, there was a message that he was hurt so I went to check him out. They felt he needed to go to the doctor over his busted lip, to be safe. I now know a lot more about wounds of the mouth. So, I definitely didn't take him back Tuesday but had thought to drop him off for an hour today so I could run a few errands.

Well, he wanted to stay with me so I kept him. We took our school registrar a cup of peppermint mocha. Then I enjoyed a cup of coffee while Clara and Zach drank hot cocoa and ate glazed donuts at the food court (Crossroads to those in Iwakuni). Then we checked the mail, went to the bank, and visited the library. On a side note, I discovered that I can check out ebooks for my kindle through the library! Anyway, we decided to go over to the PX to look for more Christmas gifts for Charlie. We found a few items but I cannot tell you what they are right now. He reads the blog.

Anyway, Zach was running out of steam at the PX. I assumed it was due to the fact that lunch and nap were fast approaching. We walked back over to Crossroads and got a couple subs for Charlie and I for lunch and we went home. Once there, he wanted me to carry him. So, I did. I made pb&j for the kids (I know, but they don't do subs and I wasn't getting them chicken nuggets and fries). Both kids were snubbing their food and Clara said her stomach was hurting.

With hind sight, the energetic boy wanting to be carried, no food desires, stomachache complaints...it all makes sense but I had not yet connected the dots. I was concerned that Zach might not be feeling well. We were expecting TV repairmen to be arriving close to this time so I told Clara to listen for them while I took Zach to his room for story time, rocking and bedtime. We read a couple of books checked out from the library, said prayers and I started rocking him. He said he was ready for bed so as I'm laying him down Clara tells me the guys are here.

I go let them in. Zach starts crying so as soon as I get them in the living room I tell them I'll be right back and to send Clara back if they need me. Zach is upset so I start to rock him. I went to check on Clara and returned. Zach had vomited. I get him changed and clean up. I carry him back with me and find out the repair is going to cost roughly $1500 as the tv is now out of warranty after 18 months of use. Luckily, as I'm explaining that I'll just keep watching the tv as it is, Charlie came home for lunch. He concurred and the tv people left. On another side note, it is interesting that the two Japanese men were accompanied by a Marine from the exchange. I am often reminded of little things like this that are normal for us, but weren't at one time.

So, I'm explaining to Charlie about Zach and Clara. I'm off to get the thermometer when Zach starts fussing again and decides to follow me. And gets sick. A lot. Luckily it was on the tile floor. So, we get him cleaned up and the floor clean and check temperatures. They are both running low grade fevers. I decided to just give them liquids, blankets and let them watch tv on the couch. Zach didn't take long before he fell asleep but Clara is enjoying Tom and Jerry as I type.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is the worst of it and they are both happy as larks come tomorrow.

0 comments: