About Me

United States
We are a proud American family with our two kids and 11-year-old cat.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Google Translate

I've got to give a shout out to Google Translate.  It makes my life easier.  It also adds humor to my day. I find myself grabbing products from the grocery store to learn how to prepare items, or even what they are.  I use it to help fill out forms so I can get grocery store discount cards, translate letters from the cable company, etc.  The humor comes in the translation though.  I was scoping the menu for the restaurant we are going to eat at for Clara's birthday.  By the way, it is an American style bbq restaurant.  I have discovered that a lot of the websites will have an English version, but it is often limited. This menu had English labels, but the description is in Estonian.  Enjoy!

Southern Style French Cafe Chicken  I think this one is easily detected.
Translated description:  Southern States concerned to burnt sugar-marinated chicken

Grilled Pork Neck  I do not recall ever seeing pork neck at a restaurant!  A little research determined that I am just plain ignorant (or was).  However, it is not your leanest cut of meat but apparently tasty.
Translated description:  Grilled pork chop with mushrooms fried in butter

Catfish  I've not been able to determine what the last word of the description is.  Google Translate failed me but with further research determined it must be lemon curd.  
Translated description:  Crackers breaded boneless white fish tartar and sidrunivõiga

I spared you the whole menu, but was in the mood to share.  It really is helpful and I am so thankful to have such technology at my fingertips as I learn to navigate in a new country.

0 comments: